Tuesday 8 January 2013

Bacon & Baked Potato Soup

 
Yesterday I cooked again. This time I made Bacon & Baked Potato Soup. This is probably one of my favourite dishes now. I just loved it, and couldn't believe I made it, and that it didn't come from a box! I found the recipe on kraftrecipes.com. That website is great because it even does the nutritional breakdown for you. It will tell you calories and amount of everything that is in it (ex: sodium, cholest, protein. etc.) The recipes are simple to follow and very straight forward, plus are available in easy printing format. I print out all the ones I like and store in a folder in the kitchen for when I am in the mood to cook something. You can find today's recipe print out here.
 

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
1-1/4 cups milk
2 baking potatoes, baked, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/8 tsp. pepper
8 slices  Center Cut Bacon, cooked, crumbled and divided
3/4 cup Cheddar & American Cheese
1 green onion, sliced, divided
1/4 cup sour Cream
 
**you will notice on the website they always recommend using Kraft products in the ingredients section but you can substitute with whatever brand you like.
 
Step 1: melt butter in saucepan, add celery and onions. cook until crisp tender. Meanwhile, start baking/boiling potatoes and bacon.
Step 2: Add the next four ingredients (chicken broth, milk, potatoes, pepper) bring to a boil.
Step 3: Slightly crush the potatoes and simmer on medium low for 5 mins.
Step 4: Reserve 2 tsp each of bacon, cheese and green onions. Add remaining amounts to pan. Cook until cheese is melted.
Step 5: Topped with reserved ingredients and add sour cream.
 
BTW, I suck at explaining things, and giving direction, so hopefully it makes sense. You can always follow the online exact recipe as well.
 
This soup was amazing.I will definitely be making this more often. I just made it last night, and already it is all gone. Only 210 calories per serving (1 cup). Not bad since its pretty filling. Enjoy!
 
D 
 
 
 
 
 

 

3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to try this one...thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potato soup is one of my favorites and bacon just put it over the top. I love sour cream on top of soups and chili (which I did last night)

    ReplyDelete